From:
"J. McCrain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 10:30:35 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> The works were never accessioned but put in storage.
> What are the reprecussions of destroying works that were formerly entrusted
> in your care?

The fact that these works were never officially accessioned into your
collection gives you some lee-way as to their disposal.  You do not have to
deaccession them.  (You would have to accession them first, then deaccession
them.  Don't bother.)  Instead of destroying the object(s), perhaps you could
use them as "Thank You" gifts for special donors or for members?  Also, look
into the possibility of placing them in other institutions.  Other museums,
universities, or art training schools come to mind.

> How is this policy put into place? get past a board? doesn't this take years?
> Your collection policy should state that the "disposal" of non-permanent
collection material is at the discretion of the museum staff, provided that
it does not conflict with any ethical or moral issue.  (How is that for a
vague answer?)

> Are destructive options listed in deaccessioning manuals?
>See the above response.

> Are there companies "seedy" or reputable that will do this for you?
>Starving artists sales can be found everywhere!

> And is it right to destroy the life's work of an artist ? Bad karma?
> Karma is what you make it!  In other words, make the decission that YOU think
is right, stick to it, and live a long, healthy life, free from worry.  (But
CYA with lots of documentation about every step and decission!)

This is just my opinion.  Take it or leave it.

Jim McCrain
Chief Curator
Old City Park
Dallas, Texas