From:
John Moser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:16:31 -0500
We've confronted this issue numerous times, with regards to exhibits related
to the U.S. Civil War, but also on science projects, as I'll explain. My
personal position on this is that what matters most is to make exhibits that
address goals you have set for the visitor experience. If you set specific
goals early, they can help you make decisions later, and can help you
prioritize issues.

On science projects, we frequently have what I would describe as a
(sometimes huge) gap between what the visitor can take in and comprehend
during a brief exposure to an exhibit, and the level of detail and accuracy
that the scientists we work for want in the exhibit. Setting visitor
experience goals early in the process can help when the going gets tough
during copy editing.

I think there are similarities with historical subjects. After researching
the Civil War and all the amazing photographs taken during the war for a
recent project, we were often confronted with the perfect photograph to
convey the message of the exhibit. But the "perfect" photograph often was
from the wrong place, battle, or time. During that process it was always
helpful when we had pre-determined goals for the exhibit. For example, if we
knew ahead of time that conveying the emotions or mood of an event or issue
took priority over adherence to perfect historical accuracy, the decisions
became easier. Naturally, you could decide that historical accuracy would
take priority and the outcome might be different.

During our Civil War research, we became extremely familiar with the images
from the war. Now, we enjoy watching Civil War documentaries and identifying
where the film-makers have used images from the wrong battle to help tell
their story. There is one particularly evocative image taken after the
battle of Cold Harbor (about 5 miles from our office) that we see used in
almost every documentary on the war, regardless of the place or year. This
kind of realization is fun for us, but I think it has little to do with the
experience of the target audience for the film(s). The photo works well to
tell the story, so it gets used a lot.

So, my suggestion is to set your goals early (write them down - get everyone
to "sign off" on them) and use them throughout the project to guide the type
of decision making that you are asking about. There are a number of
resources on the subject of goal setting and planning exhibitions. Contact
me for further info on this if you like.

John Moser, president
Moser Productions, Inc.
exhibit planning, design,  and fabrication
Richmond, Virginia