From:
"Mahar, Karen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:24:18 -0400
I'm on the board of an educational site on a former farm/religious community. This cat was adopted as a much-needed mouser, but he now has his own line of gift cards bearing his image, and has received fan mail, and has even solicited donations from otherwise notably tight-fisted individuals.

The downside is, of course, those with allergies, though there is so much dust in this historic site I can't imagine he adds much more.  We do not have much by way of collections, except some large crumbling buildings with vermin, so he is far more helpful than dangerous.  I did have a student who balked at the "please don't let the cat out" sign when visiting the site for the first time, but clearly some find the cat charming.  Or even spiritual--a visiting psychic said the cat was a reincarnation of a former resident should never be adopted out as he had too many spiritual friends there.

Okay . . .

He makes his rounds during board meetings, laying on one person's papers and then another.  I've been on the board going on seven years and have never seen anyone take offense, at least not openly.  Many seek him out.  Because it's a historic site and a former farm, of course, he seems to fit the place.

Or maybe we're just a bit nutty here.