From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:43:04 -0700
Well, I've had this nagging issue in my mind with all
the answers about FileMaker Pro as being the wizbang
for museum databases.  Back when I used it, it was Mac
only.  I went to the source
http://www.filemaker.com/index.html and learned that
FileMaker can now be used on multiple platforms.  Back
when, it was a good product, and I'm sure it probably
still is, though there is much to be said about the
power of Microsoft's Access.

With that said, my curiousity has been piqued.  Is
there a bias in the museum world with respect to type
of computer system?  Are more of you (and if yes, I
suspect it's more of the Art type museums) a Mac
environment or a PC one?

What operating systems are you using within that
equipment?  Are you Windows, DOS, and/or Linux based?

These may sound like nosey questions, but it's tough
to recommend a database without knowing those two
parameters.

If cost is a consideration . . . and often it is . . .
there's a good chance you may be operating outdated
equipment.  It could get really frustrating trying to
make a silk purse out of a sow's ear when it comes to
puters, so I'm wondering how your equipment and
operating systems factor into your database scenarios.

Further, are you operating freestanding or on LANs?
Will you have to share this database with others in
your organization, and what documentation are you
creating as a users manual in case you up and leave?

It wasn't that long ago I was doing some database work
(nothing super fancy). Fact is, I've trained on and/or
used about three or four different types. The biggest
problem about a database is trying to correct it if
you just start out willy nilly and think you're going
to design some great system without planning.  That
usually means consulting with others to make sure the
needs of many are incorporate in the one document
before you start to build it.

I think, as I'm working this out here, there OUGHT to
be some sort of a standard database for the museum
world that is widely accepted as the template of
choice, kind of like Raisers Edge (Blackbaud) often is
on the fundraising side of it.

What am I missing in this picture?  It seems to me
that each of you is having to design your own instead
of relying on a standard and making modifications for
subtle nuances to your system.

Seems to me this would be a good venture for an
entrepreneur.

=====
Indigo Nights