From:
Wendy Ng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:19:00 -0400
*Apologies for cross postings.

Canadian Art Gallery Educators
CAGE 2007 Symposium
May 26 – 29, 2007
Art Gallery of Hamilton
Hamilton, Ontario

To register for the symposium, please download the registration form from
the CAGE website at http://www.cageart.ca.

Symposium Agenda

Saturday, May 26
Location: Sheraton Hamilton, 116 King Street West

5:30 pm   Welcome!  Registration

6:00 pm - 9:00 pm   Dinner…Discovery…Discussion
Please bring with you a maximum of 3 images (photographs, prints - no slides
please) that reflect what learning in a Gallery means to you.  Be ready to
share these with colleagues.

Sunday, May 27
Location:  Art Gallery of Hamilton, 123 King Street West

Please bring brochures, posters and information about your gallery/museum
and programs for information table.

8:30 am   Registration

9:00 - 10:30 am   New Learners…? Has new technology changed the ways in
which gallery visitors learn? What implications does this have for gallery
programming?

Keynote Panel:
Dr. Mark Morton - Centre of Learning and Teaching Through Technology,
Waterloo University
Other panel members to be confirmed

10:30 - 11:00 am   Break

11:00 - 12:00 noon   Discussion groups and feedback on panel session

12:00 - 1:30 pm    Lunch at Café at AGH

1:30 - 3:00 pm   Conversations: New Approaches in the Gallery
An open conversation between speakers and symposium participants with focus
on New Approaches.

Christine Castle, Museum Consultant and Educator
Renee Wetsellaar, Workers Arts & Heritage (Community Arts)
Tiffanie Ting, Director of Public Programs, Kitchener-Waterloo Art Gallery

3:00 - 3:30 pm   Break

3:30 - 4:30 pm   Tour of Art Gallery of Hamilton

Evening - Dinner on your own

Monday, May 28
Location: Art Gallery of Hamilton, 123 King Street West

9:00 am - Business/Announcements

9:15 - 10:15 am   CASE Study 1 and discussion

10:45 - 11:45 am   CASE Study 2 and discussion

11:45 - 1:15 pm   Lunch Catered by AGH

1:30 - 3:00 pm   Wired and Wonderful: New Technology for Gallery Educators

Brian Porter, Senior Director of New Media Resources (ROM)
Lise Hosein, Freelance writer and curator

3:00 – 3:30 pm   Break

3:30 - 5:00 pm   CAGE AGM and planning session.

7:00 pm - Optional - Hamilton Educators (HAM-ED) extend an invitation to
CAGE delegates for a night of food, drink and discussion.**
Where: Downtown Hamilton Restaurant TBA

Tuesday, May 29 (optional)

Visits to local art spaces/organizations.  Locations to be announced.

**HAM-ED, the Hamilton and Area Museums Educators Group, is an ad hoc
association of about 50 museum/gallery workers living and/or working in the
vicinity of Hamilton, Ontario.  We tackle current issues in museum education
& interpretation. We meet informally after-hours, usually in some kind of
social setting like a restaurant or pub. For a better idea of who we are and
current discussions, visit our blog at http://www.hamused.blogspot.com

Complementing the CAGE Symposium theme of "New Content, New Approaches, New
Teaching...New Learners?" the evening*s topic will be "Non-traditional
Activities and Interpretation". Conversation at this meeting will be casual
and a suggested reading accompanies the discussion topic, but is not a must
read.

*Do visitors use your site in unanticipated or non-traditional ways?
*Are there 'teachable moments' we can introduce to nevertheless deliver our
message to these site users?
*One national battlefield in South Carolina found the overwhelming primary
reason for visiting was for jogging and exercise.  Ideas were proposed for
merging education and exercise, such as offering battle-themed fitness
events (military drills, cavalry maneuvers), or painting a timeline along
the trail that listed important dates before and after the battle.
*Are there non-preferred activities on your site? *What motivates this
visitor behaviour? *Could you create experiences for this audience that
would address the motivation while getting your messages across?
*What impact would this have on audience development?

Reference:
"Nontraditional Activities and Interpretation at National Parks: Conflict or
Coexistence?" Dr. Mark Morgan, Journal of Interpretation Research, 10(2)
2005.

Check Out Our List Of Trendy Restaurants. You'll Eat It Up!
http://local.live.com/?mkt=en-ca/?v=2&cid=A6D6BDB4586E357F!378