From:
"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 18:40:24 -0700
>I am working on the proposal for the Quinault National Museum (tenative
>final title).  I have several questions since I am at the beginning
>stages of putting all the elements together for the initial project
>requirements.  While I have some very basic information on formulating
>the necessities for collections care, I have no hands on experience.  I
>do have administrative background.
>
>The project should have a mulitmedia language/culture instruction program
>that will include video clips, random access, bilingual text, and sound
>capabilities.  There will be at least two machines, one for end-users an
>Mone for authoring.  I would like to know how others have solved this sort
>of problem and what sorts of costs have been encountered.
>
>I am also looking for computer programs that will allow registration and
>collections tracking.  This should also be able to link the object
>information with the documents that support it.  With this system will
>also be a visual collection of items (and their supporting documents)
>held by other museums that relate directly to the Quinault.  Since much
>of the collection will be ethnocultural materials, photographs, sound and
>video tapes, works on paper (books, drawings, ms, letters and so forth)
>there has to be some flexibility in the system.  I am hopeful that the
>visual documents of other museums Quinault holdings, will allow us to be
>able to give a more complete picture of Quinault workmanship and culture.
>
>My last question entails environmental controls and collection
>protection.  Since we are in a coastal area and have the salt air as a
>factor, it would seem that we would have some additional requirements
>than most museums.  How do I go about resolving the environmental
>controls for the museum?  Are there specific companies that deal with
>such endeavours?
>
>Comments, advice and guidance are greatly appreciated.  I am trying to do
>the best job I can to ensure the continuance of the collection, the
>museum's interaction with the community and its educational mission to
>build community, and to provide language/culture instruction.
>
>Thank you
>Dave Wells
>Director
>Quinault National Museum Project

Dave,

I suggest you contact the Heard Museum in Phoenix, AZ. They have a
wonderful department of conservation and collections dept. Their collection
is mainly S.W. Indian material.

I hope this is helpful to you,

R.O. Dahl

May the great worm of enlightenment prosper in the compost pit of your mind.

Robert O. Dahl
Museum Consultant                                       Ph:(602) 797-4752
Interpretive Planning and Design                        Fax: same
8421 N. Via Tioga                                       AOL:[log in to unmask]
Tucson, AZ 85704
internetaddress:[log in to unmask]