From:
Roger Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:09:52 +1200
Welcome to this edition of DINOSAURNEWS -  the international Dinosaur
Webzine with bite!

This Week's Headlines: (For the FULL STORY visit the NEWS section of the
webzine at this address: http://www.dinosaurnews.org )

**  Fossil Hunters: A Tale of Discovery
On the first afternoon here, fossil-hunters struck out across the parched
sand to the rock outcrops along the bleached brown ridges and down into the
broad basin

**  Dinosaur Feathers: How Fossils Inform Us about the Evolution of Birds
Mark Norell, chairman and Curator of the Division of Palaeontology at the
American Museum of Natural History in New York, will give a lecture titled
"Dinosaur Feathers: How Fossils Inform Us about the Evolution of Birds" at
7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 27 in McCrary Theatre, located in the Centre for
the Arts on the Elon University campus

**  Fossil & Prairie Park continues to grow and attract visitors
The number of demonstrators for this year's Prairie Heritage Day at the
Rockford Fossil and Prairie Park was down, blamed namely on the high gas
prices, but the visitors to the park Saturday hardly seemed to notice

**  Making Tracks
Dinosaur tracks trail down the hall and prehistoric creatures cover the
walls in Lehi's John Hutchings Museum of Natural History's fossil room - all
the work of an eighth-grade artist
dinomail lists.
Simply send an email to: [log in to unmask]

**  Family Fossil Fun: Dozens take part in fossil find in Gordon
The Eocene era fossil area resembles most fields you drive by in the
backcountry of the kaolin areas of Baldwin, Wilkinson and Twiggs counties

**  Pterodactyl Sculpture Mysteriously Appears
An unknown artist has transformed a coastal neighbourhood into Jurassic Park

**  Tiny Utah town has impressive dinosaur museums
It displays skeletons, fossils and realistic sculptures of dinosaurs that
once lived in the region

**  Dinosaur big as a plane ruled sky
The largest animal ever to fly - a giant reptile called a pterosaur - was
much bigger and more fearsome than previously realised, new fossil evidence
has revealed.

**  Fossils of ancient marine beings found
Cretaceous deposits of sea-animals, believed to be 10 crores years old, have
been found at the fossil areas of Saradamangalam village near Kallakudi

**  Other Fossil news: $3,000 gift received for preservation & restoration
costs of mammoth fossil find
The Town of Gilbert has given the Mesa Southwest Museum a donation of $3,000
after the discovery of various fossils on the site of a new Gilbert
development.

**  Crocodiles About to Rock at Mesa Southwest Museum
About 60 million years ago, during the early Cenozoic Era that followed the
extinction of the dinosaurs, it was the fearsome crocodile that ruled as the
largest predator on the planet.

DINOSAURNEWS  webzine now read in 80 countries.  Hundreds of Dinosaur Books,
The latest Dinosaur News, Dinosaur Games, Dinolinks and a Dinomall.   Read
something ferocious this week: http://www.dinosaurnews.org

SEND US YOUR NEWS:  Does your Museum have a dinosaur focus?  Put us on your
media database.  We welcome your news of events, discoveries and exhibitions

NEW !  RSS news feed at this address:
http://www4.wave.co.nz/~jollyroger/dino2004/dinosaur.xml

What our readers say:

I must say first that I subscribe to your E-mail news letters and read them
voraciously for book ideas. The news blurbs are such a wonderful service
to us dino fanciers!
Christine Gentry - author of 'Mesozoic Murder 'and 'Carnosaur Crimes'

Thank you for an interesting, useful site. I recommend it to teachers who
continue to contact me after 6 years of retirement. I also volunteer at the
local science museum and recommend your site to the many children who visit
it.
Marvin Selnes, Sioux Falls, SD

Thank You for the excellent coverage you've given my ongoing research.
Best regards,
Marilyn D. Wegweiser, Ph.D.,  Affiliate Faculty,  Idaho Museum of Natural
History