From:
Jennifer Jaskowiak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 11:41:23 -0700
As a museum studies student, I was required to submit two written
reports/evaluations, one mid-year, one end-of year.  The internship was 12
months, 3 days a week.  In addition, my supervisor was required to submit
two reports at the same intervals.  The internships were graded, based on
the evaluations and discussions between the student, director, and
internship supervisor.

The written reports have a life beyond grades, though.  For the program I
attended, and now teach within, the reports were used for grantwriting
purposes and helped the program raise fellowship money.  They can also
serve to help program directors evaluate curriculum.

Without some kind of evaluation system in place for the internship, how
would the student know whether or not he/she has progressed and how would
the program director know whether the curriculum is successful?

Jennifer Jaskowiak
Curator/Exhibition Coordinator, Fisher Gallery, USC
Instructor, Museum Studies Program, USC