From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 03:44:46 GMT
On Jun 10, 1996 14:00:12, 'Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>' wrote:

>> Does anyone on the list know of any recent studies that discuss how long

>> visitors spend reading labels in exhibition galleries?
>>
>> I would appreciate any information.
>
>So would I, being a tub-thumper for more and yet more text. I'd also
>like details of the protocols of any such studies; I think it would be the

>very devil to try to control for good text and bad text, good type and bad

>type, good layout and bad layout....

Even more interesting would be a study that compared the amount of time
people spend reading labels compared to the time they spend studying the
objects for which the labels were written.  If my recent exhibit experience
is any guide, I'd think that shows might just as well be set up with huge
over-sized labels and miniaturized versions of art.
--

Robert A. Baron
Museum Computer Consultant