From:
Liz Bishoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:12:40 -0700
Lorena Donohue of the Littleton Historical Museum forwarded me your message
in the hopes that I might be able to offer some comments.  Before I do, let
me introduce myself and the Colorado Digitization Project.  The Colorado
Digitization Project began in the Fall of 1998 as a grant funded initiative
to form a collaborative approach to increasing access to Colorado's
historical, cultural, scientific and governmental information in digital
format.  The initiative would involve archives, libraries, museums,
historical societies.  The project in it's first year has identified 22
digitization initiatives in Colorado, of which approximately 50% are
non-library initiatives.  We have created a website
http://coloradodigital.coalliance.org which brings together all these
projects.  Additionally we put together a set of metadata standards that
would be useful by all 4 cultural institution types, recognizing that there
are different standards in each area.  In addition to the metadata standards
there are standards for scanning.  These standards are established as a
minimum set of standards for any project.  Guidance on issues related to
scanning are provided along with the standards.  We have also pulled
together a set of web-based and print resources that would be useful to any
project undertaking a digitization initiative.  Please feel free to use
these standards.  In addition to the standards you will also find a document
called getting started which lists a series of questions that you need to
ask prior to undertaking any digitization initiative.  Many people want to
know what kind of scanner to buy, but you really need to know who your user
is and what needs they have that can/should be met with a digital version.

Liz Bishoff
The Colorado Digitization project
31157 Lewis Ridge Rd.
Evergreen CO 80439