From:
Paula Sumpter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 15:10:04 -0600
>I am unaware of a separate
>standard for petrology collection mission statements per se. I recommend
>that you check out the article by Cato and Williams in the latest
>Collections Forum for a discussion of policies--it's great. I wil mail
>this to you by snail mail if you need a copy. Comments, anyone?
>Sally Shelton

Yes, I agree, the policy is much like that of any other collection. The
one we used here when I worked with the geology collections a couple
of years ago did include some more specific information about the
scope of each collection (rocks vs fossils vs minerals).  Otherwise
there is nothing really special about it.  Try mentioning your rock
collection in your general collecting policy rather than writing a special
policy just for it.  I would think on its own it would be rather brief.
A few lines about the current scope of that collection and the areas
you still collect in should be sufficient.

I think you will find the Cato and Williams paper helpful.

     |  Paula M. Sumpter              |  [log in to unmask]  |
     |  Information Services          |  Voice: 414 278-2740  |
     |  Milwaukee Public Museum, Inc. |  Fax:   414-278-6100  |
     |  800 W. Wells St.              |  All opinions in this |
     |  Milwaukee, WI  53233          |  message are my own.  |