From:
Jerrie Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 14:14:12 PST
I was out of town for a few weeks and I'm just catching up on old e-mail.
But I still wanted to put my 2-cents in on the polyethylene bag discussion.
A couple of years ago I did a condition survey on an artifact collection
where over half of the the objects had been stored in polyethylene bags and
zip-lock bags for 10 years.  The problems I found were with deterioration of
the bags rather than the artifacts.  Some bags were still in perfect
condition, but many of them were greasy and dirty and some had disintegrated
into ragged pieces.  The worst bags were on minerals and old wood.  I was
trained many years ago that plastic was bad for artifacts, so I'll admit I
have a pounded-in distrust of plastic.  The bags may protect from dust and
water. Still this experience made me wonder what was happening, still
unseen, to the artifacts.

Jerrie