From:
Jane McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 1998 21:17:03 EST
No witty comeback, sorry. My suggestion was sincere, and since the lowest-
paying jobs are generally entry-level, there's no better time to burn the
candle at both ends as when one is young and fresh and eager and just starting
out with a goal in mind. It ain't pretty, but it's the truth.

Taking a second job was merely a suggestion on my part, since (although there
has been incessant whining on the topic of salaries) no one had brought it up.
Working two jobs may seem like slavery to some, but a heck of a lot of people
do it to make ends meet for themselves and their families. No shame in that.

Museum professionals are not the only underpaid group in the rich and
privileged environment we call America (teachers come to my mind first).
However, unlike teachers, museum employees generally are not in demand since
there is a surplus of that particular resource. And when you combine that with
institutions like museums, which typically are underfunded, well, as I've
pointed out before, that basic economic law of supply and demand comes into
play. As the Buddah would point out, life is hard.

By the way, if you think working two jobs is slavery, you must have a pretty
nice life. Last I checked, slaves don't get a salary and benefits (unless you
count the scraps from the master's table?).