From:
Andrew Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:00:28 +1100
Hi Julia,

Thanks for the message.

We have little in the way of details so far but, as I understand it the
scheme is designed  to make administrative units (departments, faculties
etc) more accountable for their space.  It therefore assumes that
exhibition and collection spaces have no central university role, and in
fact no role beyond their host administrative unit.  We will be arguing
that this is a false assumption.

The scheme is intended to cover all spaces on campus and there will be
a differential rate for different types of areas ie teaching labs,
research labs, lecture theatres.  Whether it will replace some of the
other standard admin charges such as cleaning, security, communication
and how this will be expressed in budgets is unkown at present.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew Simpson
Science Museums
Division of Environmental and Life Sciences
Macquarie University NSW 2109
ph (61 2) 98508183
fax (61 2) 98509671
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.museums.mq.edu.au
http://www.els.mq.edu.au/museumstudies

"The economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment"

>>> [log in to unmask] 11/08/06 9:46 am >>>
When I worked in a university museum we calculated a per-square-foot
value for campus services like cleaning and utilities, and showed them
in our budget as "parent institution contribution" same as our direct
university budgetary support such as staff salaries, travel and
general
operating support.  Conversely, when we used some campus services such
as university vehicles or extra campus police for an event it was an
actual charge to our budget.  So we had something of a hybrid system.

But we never had a scheme such as is outlined below.  What is the
purpose?

Julia Muney Moore
Public Art Administrator
Blackburn Architects, Indianapolis, IN