From:
Melanie Solomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 10:22:52 -0500
>>We've always felt this way at the Art Center, and accordingly we do NOT
block off our galleries
>>when we re-install.  ...  BTW, although we feel this is one of our unique
features as an
>>organization, when we tried to express this on a recent IMS-GOS grant we
got zapped for it.

>>Julia Moore
>>Indianapolis Art Center

What could your IMS-GOS reviewers possibly have against such an educational
"display'?  It sounds GREAT to me, but then again I always look through the
little head cut-outs at construction sites.

I did something similar a few years ago:  due to lack of office/work space, I
converted our back galleries (historical society museum) into an open-to-view
collections work area.  The trustees HATED it, but the public loved it, and
it generated some interesting press.  Several teachers also were so intrigued
by it that they developed an educational program around it!  And we most
certainly included this on our GOS application, with positive results.

--Melanie Solomon