Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 16:07:07 -0500
>===== Original Message From Museum discussion list

>all of that. I received an email containing graphic pornography through the
>Museum Listserv. My suggestion would be that the moderator look into the
>feasibility of monitoring posts on a case by case basis. There really
>aren't many that come through on a daily basis, though I realize some days
>are heavier than others. I am open to other people thinking this is an
>overreaction, but it's one solution. Anyone else have other suggestions?

That might be a reasonable request if 1) subscribers to Museum-L were paying
for the service, and 2) if listserve moderators were paid for their work.
Unfortunately Spam, pornographic and otherwise, is a reality of internet
culture.  Stemming the flow of Spam is a huge technological and political
challenge, one that will likely not be met in the near future.  The beauty of
listserves is that they allow for the instantaneous exchange of information
and ideas.  In exchange for that, we have to put up with Spam, some of which
is quite offensive.  Of course, we always have the option to pull the plug on
our internet connections.  If a listserve moderator had to scrutinize each
posting to the group before it could be distributed, the instantaneous
character of our exchanges would be squelched.  I can't imagine that any
moderator has a schedule that would accommodate a timely review of every
posting.  We should just be grateful that the world's many listserve
moderators are so generous with their time, which I'm sure is as precious as
anyone else's.  If you have a postal address, you're gonna get junkmail.  And,
if you have an email address, you're gonna get Spam.  That's the way it is.
On the bright side, serious steps are being taken by service providers to
combat the Spam problem.  See, for example, Saul Hansell's "E-Mail Service
Providers Unite in Bid to Stop Spam" in today's NY Times.

Bill North
Senior Curator
The Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art
Kansas State University
701 Beach Lane
Manhattan, KS 66506
USA