From:
"Richard S. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 14:21:21 -0700
Matthew (no relation :)

I understand your point, but I just can't fathom anyone who would reason
that way.  That sort of thinking is akin to those who want to deny that
there is ANY difference between male and female..... there is, it is
biological, and no matter how many times you deny it, or how much you
attempt to change language to conceal it, the difference is still there.
Does that mean that men and women aren't equal in terms of opportunity?  No.
Equality of opportunity is not only the law, it is a good thing as well.

The visually impared experience our museum differently, which is neither
worse than, nor better than, the way anyone else experiences it.  It is just
different.  It is our task, I believe, to make the experience as meaningful
as possible for all of our visitors.

But to address your point directly, the Arizona School for the Deaf and
Blind with whom we partner, brings their staff, some visually impaired, and
some not, to teach the sessions to our docents.  They bring the canes and
the blindfolds, which they use in teaching their own staff as well.

I can't imagine any visually impaired person objecting to that unless they
were a very bitter person.  Most, in my experience, aren't.  In fact, the
first time we had 70 such kids here for a museum tour, I observed with some
trepidation.  Kids with disabilities can sometimes take a great deal of
understanding and skill to teach effectively.  I was amazed; these kids were
better behaved, more attentive and less disruptive than any group of abled
students I've ever seen in this museum.