From:
"Lawrence, Rena" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jul 2011 12:49:58 -0500
I agree that this issue truly boils down to parenting.  If a child is disrespectful and unruly in a museum, more than likely they are disrespectful and unruly in McDonald's as well.  They have to be taught that you respect your surroundings.  I honestly get more ticked off by the adult(s) talking loudly on mobile phones (anywhere...not just museums) than I do at kids being kids.  That said, museum staff members can help create an environment that facilitates child interaction while still acknowledging adult childless visitors (i.e. talking with children and adults rather than ignoring the children).

Part of our jobs as museum professionals is helping to ensure the sustainability of museums.  This won't happen if we're not cultivating generations of museum advocates who will support museums for years to come.  Reach Advisors had a great survey a few years ago that revealed most museum advocates had a seminal museum experience at age 7 (+ or - 2 years).  Age 7.  That means we should be reaching out to our child visitors VERY EARLY.

When I first started working here at the Village, we had historical interpreters who truly believed that kids didn't get anything out of their visits.  When we showed them evidence to the contrary (and explained that you just needed to alter your questioning strategy a bit), they were floored at how positive their interactions with kids became.  Instead of expecting the kids to be miniature adults, they engaged them on their developmental level and saw a decrease in "negative" behavior because the kids weren't bored silly.  The kids became stakeholders in the experience, not distractions.

The final bit of evidence came from my son.  He, at age 5, remembers some of the interactive things he did at my museum from his visit at age 2.  And yeah...he loves museums.  :)

Take care,
Rena Lawrence, Educator and Collections Manager
Log Cabin Village, Fort Worth, TX