From:
Susan Wageman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 08:17:40 -0700
At 10:29 AM 4/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
>They are looking for software to help them organize their collections.
>Ideas for basic programs would be appreciated.  I suggested that they may
>wish to just create something from a program like Excel.  Ideas?

Excel is a spreadsheet program. They would do well to at least invest in a
database program like Access for FileMaker Pro. Even if their collection is
relatively small, there is more room for growth when using a true database
program. It may not seem like they need that much now, but as they use the
program they will find new ways they want to look at their data and
(probably) new information they want to track.

Although I am in grant management now, I developed a collections
cataloguing system for a small museum in my previous job. Additional
suggestions:

1) Document your work: what is supposed to be in each field, including
preferred format; how to do sorts; required fields; etc. Plan for the day
when you move on, or when you have some help and don't have to do it all
yourself.

2) Make sure someone else has the password and that they know it is
important. (I got a call three years after leaving my old job. They wanted
to know the password to the database. I had passed that information along,
but for some reason one of my successors hadn't.)

3) If you can find a commercial collections database product that will work
for you and that you can afford, buy it. It is a *lot* of work to develop,
document, and maintain the database structure, as well as the data. With a
commercial product, you will have access to customer support and periodic
updates.

Susan B.F. Wageman
Grants and Research Manager                  (408) 279-7178
The Tech Museum of Innovation                (408) 918-0253 fax
145 West San Carlos Street                    [log in to unmask]
San Jose, California  95113                   http://www.thetech.org