From:
Terrie Nolinske <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:15:28 -0500
Some museums offer the assistant free admission and a discount for
accompanying friends and family.  Others, to promote good will and customer
relations, admit at no charge all those accompanying the assistant or person
with a disability, figuring that people will contribute revenue in retail
(e.g., gift shop, cafeteria).

I have taken the following information from  The Americans with Disabilities
Act Title II Technical Assistance Manual covering Public Accommodations and
Commercial Facilities (pages 9-13). The term "disability" means, with
respect to an individual means any one of the following:
  1. individuals who have a physical or mental impairment that substantially
limits one or more of the major life activities (e.g., seeing, hearing,
dressing, working, cooking, cleaning, hygiene, leisure activities)

      e.g., cosmetic disfigurement, anatomical loss (amputation) or
physiological disorders or conditions affecting one or more of the following
body systems,         neurological, musculoskeletal, special sense organs
like speech, vocal cords, soft palate, tongue, respiratory, cardiovascular,
reproductive, digestive, genitourinary, hemic / lymphatic, skin and
endocrine.  Examples of physical impairments might include, but be not
limited to,  orthopedic, visual, speech, hearing impairments, cerebral
palsy, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer, heart
disease, diabetes, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, drug addition and alcoholism.
Mental impairments include mental pr psychological disorders such as mental
retardation, organic brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness and
specific learning disabilities.

  A person with a minor vision impairment such as 20/40 vision does not have
a substantial impairment of the major life activity of seeing.  A person who
can walk for 10 miles continuously is not substantially limited in walking
merely because, on the 11th mile, s/he begins to experience pain, because
most people would not be able to walk 11 miles without experiencing some
discomfort.

  2. a record of such an impairment (a protected group)

      e.g., a person who has a history of an impairment that substantially
limited a major life activity but who has recovered, might include people
who have histories of mental or emotional illness, drug addition,
alcoholism, hear disease or cancer.

  3. being regarded as having such impairment
      e.g., individuals who are regarded by a public entity as having
physical or mental impairment that substantially limits a major life
activity, whether or not the individual actually has an impairment.  Three
typical situations are covered by this category:

  a.  someone with mild diabetes, controlled by medication, is barred by the
staff of a private summer camp from participation in certain sports because
of the diabetes.  Even though the diabetes does not substantially limit a
major life activity, the individual is protected under the ADA because s/he
is treated as though s/he does.

  b.  an individual who has a physical or mental impairment that
substantially limits major life activities ONLY as a result of the attitudes
of others towards the impairment (e.g. a three year old child has a facial
disfigurement and has been refused admittance to a day care program on the
grounds that her presence might upset others...the disfigurement does not
substantially limit major life activities, but the attitudes of others
towards the disfigurement does.

  c.  an individual who has no impairments, but who is treated by a public
accommodation as having an impairment that substantially limits a major life
activity (e.g., an adult is refused admittance in an academic program or
membership into a special interest group because people believe rumors that
the individual is infected with HIV/AIDS virus.  Even though these rumors
are untrue, the individual is protected under the ADA, because the
individual is being discriminated against.

  As has been mentioned within this listserv, one cannot ask someone if they
have a disability;  rely on trust and honesty.  If someone uses the system,
at least you provided excellence in customer service!

  When you write about the roman chariot like devices, are you referring to
scooters?  Scooters for home use usually go about 6 miles per hour, the
scooters used in grocery store go about 2- 2/12 miles per hour and scooters
used at theme parks are programmable, they can be adjusted.  They are set at
the factory but can be changed to meet the needs of where they are being
used by staff, not visitors.

  Hope this helps.  Feel free to contact me off line.

Terrie

Terrie Nolinske, Ph.D., OTR (licensed occupational therapist)
Principal
TNI Consultants LLC

A Woman Business Enterprise
Member, Tampa Chamber of Commerce