From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:37:26 -0800
First of all, I've taken several courses out of UCLA
extension (Grant Writing, Special Events Planning, and
Public Relations for Nonprofits), and I have to tell
you that their courses are phenomenal.  I believe
they're a good investment for the money and recommend
them to you.

Secondly, until October 19, I was working in Downtown
LA not far from this venue (I was at 5th and Grand
caddy corner to the Central Library).

I know a lot of people have boogie monster stories
about Downtown LA.  I'm here to tell you that those
are, for the most part, historical.  I worked right
down the street from the Bonaventure in the BofA tower
(42nd floor in earthquake territory) in the 70s and
down the street at the turn of the century.  What a
world of difference!  I still wouldn't stomp much at
night alone, but up and down the street from this
course, there is quite a bit to be had that is
recreational and museum worthy.

You can get around the immediate city using the Dash
at 25 cents one way.  You may want to check out
historic Olvera Street (the first street in LA), China
Town (now in need of remodeling), Little Tokyo, and
MOCA.  I believe there is also a museum of Latino
history in Downtown, though I've not made it yet.
There are several others worthy of viewing.

If you're into Native American studies, and you have a
rental car, don't miss the Southwest Museum in
Highland Park (north on the 110 Fwy).  Others you may
want to visit include the California Science Center
(formerly our MOSI) and the Museum of Natural History
down by Exposition Park, the La Brea Tar Pits (I
believe it's the Page Museum), Peterson Automotive,
the Autry Museum, the LA Zoo, the Getty, the Long
Beach Aquarium (Aquarium of the Pacific) and lots and
lots more!  So much to see.

In addition, the LA Philharmonic and/or LA Opera may
also be still performing, right up the street and
worth visiting.  They can be found at
http://www.laphil.org and http://www.laopera.com
(Placido Domingo is now our director of the opera).

If you have a car or are not averse to taking our
subway (in this case, you'd take the Red Line, and you
can pick it up not far from this class), you can catch
The Lion King in Hollywood.  There may also be plays
at the Schubert or the Ahmanson (need a car for those,
and I can get links), or a basketball game at the
Staples Center, or a baseball game at Dodger Stadium.

You may want to spend some time in Old Town Pasadena
on a weekend night, and, if you plan ahead and have
transportation, there is JPL and Cal Tech to consider,
not to mention Huntington Library.

Since this is MY town, let me give you a few pointers
if you are inclined to attending this course:

If you need a hotel, you can find out what's available
by going to http://www.superpages.com and choosing the
search by distance option (or whatever they're calling
it these days).  You can put in the zip code of the
class, and then ask for a listing of all hotels within
so many miles of the course.

If you're flying in, LAX
http://www.quickaid.com/airports/lax/ and/or Burbank
Airports (usually a little more expensive unless you
fly on Southwest) are probably preferable
http://www.burbankairport.com/next/index.html.  You
can also take the Amtrak
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/rail/depots/stops/lax.htm
(also includes the bus transportation from the depot)
which has a station across the street from Olvera
Street.

Finally, if you know you're coming to attend this and
need "insider" feedback as to what to do or see, let
me know.

--- Steve Gilheany <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> *****
> 3 Day UCLA Extension Course in Document Imaging -
> Document Management:
> Winter 2002, Spring 2002
> *****
>
> For those persons who cannot attend the class, all
> of the printed class
> materials are available free at
> [http://www.ArchiveBuilders.com]
>
> Three days, Winter 2002: Friday, February 8,
> Saturday, February 9, and
> Sunday, February 10, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM each day, at
> the Downtown Los
> Angeles World Trade Center, 350 S. Figueroa Street,
> Suite 100, Los Angeles,
> CA 90071 (213) 628-9709.   Spring 2002: Friday,
> April 26, 8:00 AM to 6:00
> PM, Saturday, April 27, 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, and
> Sunday, April 28, 8:00 AM to
> 6:00 PM, at the World Trade Center.  The course is
> generally offered every
> quarter.

=====
Indigo Nights