From:
janice klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:01:04 -0500
While it sounds a little hokey, one of our very popular (and totally
unsupervised) crafts is making beaded key chains, using plastic pony beads
strung onto strips of leather that have been knotted onto metal key chain
loops.  All of these materials are available from Noc Bay Trading Company
(P.O. Box 295, Escanaba MI 49829, 1-800-652-7192; [log in to unmask],
www.nocbay.com).  Local craft stores generally stock these items as well --
and can be considerably cheaper.  We also provide dyed chicken feathers to
attach to the ends of the beaded strips.   Both kids and adults really enjoy
making key chains and it's a good educational activity since it involves
motor skills, color identification, creativity and (as we say) "there is no
wrong way" to do it.

janice

Janice Klein
Director, Mitchell Museum of the American Indian, Kendall College
www.mitchellmuseum.org