From:
"Robert A. Baron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:49:33 -0400
It would seem logical and appropriate that a museum shouldn't have to
request permission in such cases, but the law seems to make no provision
for such situations.  Listing such stolen work, especially on public
databases, does seem like a publication of sorts.  The real question is one
of speed.  The faster information about a work can be disseminated, the
more likely it may be quickly recovered.  If a museum had to obtain
permission from the copyright holder first, then this speed advantage may
be lost.  Because many modern works were acquired by museums without rights
of copyright, my hypothetical question may in some cases be a real issue.
At the same time, one cannot be assured that once requested, permission to
post an image of a work on a stolen-works database will automatically be
granted.

My general point is that in some instances the law does not adequately
define situations in which the public interest overrides the author's right
to copyright.  For teaching and scholarship there, at least, is an attempt
to define "fair use," though that right is so vague and murky that many
users simply refuse to claim it when it is theirs.