From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 23:55:32 +0000
Anne,

In drawknives and most tools manufactured with carbon steel and iron ( even into the mid-20th century) a steel bit would be either laid on the iron or sandwiched (as in an axe) and forge welded together. After final shaping with the hammer the tool would be annealed (slow controlled cooling) then polished and ground,   reheated to the phase transition temperature (approx. 1500 degrees F) and then rapidly cooled (quenching). The faster the rate of cooling the harder the steel is left. Then the surface is scrubbed or ground and then reheated on top
of another heat source (today in ovens). A period smith would look at the band of colors that form on the polished metal and when the edge got to the correct color (deep straw or light purple for wood cutting tools) then the tool would be dunked in water to remove the residual heat.

On such old tools look for a weld seam on the back or side. Also the steel will oxidize a bit differently from the wrought iron and usually the steel but or edge will look darker when seen under a bright direct light.

Everyone now ready to go out and make drawknives?

(in a previous lifetime I was a museum blacksmith and gunsmith at Colonial Williamburg
).

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey