From:
Meg Justus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2012 12:01:26 -0700
I am currently working on a project at a small local history museum.  The
board president is my liaison, and she has gotten in the habit of
discussing museum matters with me, because except for the contract work
I'm doing for them, they are an all-volunteer organization without much,
if any, museum experience.  And, no, they're not up to hiring even a part
time director yet.

She is painfully aware that the board she has inherited is not what it
should be in terms of doing the work as opposed to just being warm bodies
at the table.  She knows that the museum needs to plan going forward, and
that much work is going to have to be done to get to the point where they
can plan, including recruiting more board members who are actually willing
to do the work, and making the existing warm bodies realize the museum
needs more from them if they want to stay on.

What I'm looking for are some good basic articles on the subjects of what
a good museum board does, and on the importance of (and how to do)
strategic planning, to give her so she can share them with her board.
I've been searching myself, but I would prefer some good recommendations
for reading material for them if anyone has any.

Her heart's decidedly in the right place, but I suspect they've got a long
uphill road ahead of them.