From:
Lynne Ranieri <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 05:16:16 -0400
    I have not been in the museum world for long, but one of my favorite
stories emerged from having a class of fourth-grade students from our local
elementary school visit our little museum.  We are the small, local
historical society museum and they were studying local history.  Whenever a
local school group visits, I put out memorabilia from their school, as I did
in this instance.  One of the students asked where I got one of a couple of
the items and I told them that they originally belonged to my children, who
had gone to their school years before (my children are in their late 20s).
    At the end of the visit, as they prepared to leave, a shy young lady
slipped beside me and asked, after much hesitation, if my children "talked
funny."  I was confused by the question and asked what she meant.  She said,
"Well, do they say funny words?"  I said, "I am very sorry, but I don't
understand what you mean by 'funny words'."   I reeled back in horror and
barely suppressed hysteria at the implication of exactly *how old* she
thought I was when she said, "Well, do they say things like 'thee' and 'thy'
and 'thou'?"
    When I recovered my composure sufficiently to explain that my children
were in their 20s (and *not* from the Pilgrim era), she looked as shocked as
I had moments before...
Lynne-who-is-not-quite-THAT-old