From:
Kenneth B Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:04:57 -0500
Sabine, the issue of "conflict of interest" is always an interesting one, in
that often it is the case that those not familiar with the legalistic
aspects of this phrase may not be aware that the word "appearance" as a
vital additive to the fundamental issue.  It is as important to deal with
the concept of the "appearance of a conflict of interest" as it is the
concept of the conflict itself.

In the case at hand, while the issue of whether or not a conflict exists,
given the lack of interest, or the perceived lack of interest (since the
lack appears not to be documented), is certainly one open to debate, it
appears that the "perception" or "appearance" of a conflict does exist.

Rather than continue to wax legalistically, perhaps one could say that there
is little doubt that, to the common man, or to twelve of one's peers, there
exists a real perception that this might well be a conflict of interest by a
staff person whose work for his employer would normally include such an
assignment, and whose work would thereby be owned by his employer.

Possibly with too many words, the bottom line is that since there is an
appearance of a conflict, one needs the institution, should it desire, to
prepare a letter of release allowing you to pursue this interest on your own
time, with rights of ownership detailed in the letter.  You may consider, if
you think it desirable in order to gain the day and not have your proposal
rejected, to share ownership of any workproduct and any resultant earnings
with the institution in a fair and equitable manner (based on whatever
precedent you may discover for similar situations).

Don't ignore any gut feelings about this.  If you are not new to the
profession, your gut is well trained and is giving you good advice.   Best
of luck, and please let me/us know of the outcome of your discussions.
/ken

Kenneth B. Brown
CFO               UJC
 212.284.6700