From:
Dominique Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:50:08 -0000
Which solvent did you try?
Dominique Rogers
Conservator?
Date sent:              Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:55:00 -0600
Send reply to:          Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Mark Steed <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Paint Removal
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Greetings-I have been on the list for quite sometime but this is
my first posting so bear with me. I am currently cleaning and
preparing for exhibit a World War One German Maxim MG08
machinegun.  It is complete in all respects including the "sled"
mount.  The weapon has been in storage for a long time and has
never been properly cleaned. Somewhere in its history some cretin
was spray painting and did not protect the gun. It is now covered
with white(of all colors) overspray. Much of the original blued
military finish and black paint is still present. I have tried a
few solvents in an attempt to remove the thousands of little white
dots. These that I have tried are damaging to the black enamel or
lacquer beneath.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  This thing is really driving me crazy.  Mark Steed-
Arkansas State University Museum, Jonesboro.

 The Museum-L FAQ file is located at http://www.finalchapter.com/museum-l-faq/ . You may obtain detailed information about the listserv commands by sending a one line e-mail message to [log in to unmask] . The bo
dy of the message should read "help" (without the quotes).