From:
"Ellen B. Cutler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:18:35 -0700
Susan, it was my habit as an art museum educator that when I was done with
my tour, I would pull the group together and ask each student (or at least a
few) which object they felt the most strongly about and why.  I didn't
particularly care if they hated the thing, I just wanted to elicit their
personal responses.

My feeling was that when they got home and mom or dad or granddad or the
cashier at the grocery store said "what did you see" I wanted them to
remember something concrete.

I will say, I had very little luck in getting my docents to take up this
habit.

My sense of a tour structure is that it should begin with 3-5 minutes of
orientation and preview, should last not more than 45 minutes, and should
conclude with 5 minutes of review, remembering, evaluation and commentary.
The whole experience then fits into a 60-minute slot, the visitors (whatever
the age) aren't exhausted, and the pleasurable features of the experience
are more prominent in the memory.

But this is just my approach.

Ellen B. Cutler
LNB Associates: Writing, Editing, Research Services
Aberdeen, MD  21001