From:
Wesley Creel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 10:07:27 -0400
Good Morning Sue,
Thank you for your prompt reply and mentioning the excellent resources on
exhibition development at The Tech's website.  I often recommend museum
folks to emulate them as "outstanding examples."
It is obvious that I need to clarify my request, so here it goes......I am
interested in seeing an Exhibition Master Plan (EMP) that provides a
strategic direction for multi-million dollar, major exhibitions that are
defined as capital improvement projects (CIP).  Such exhibitions usually
have a useful life span of about 15 to 20 years. Prior to developing and
designing such major exhibitions, there is usually a EMP produced to
identify: over-arching mission related exhibition themes; interior space
allocations; budget ceilings; projected attendance, annual revenues and
expenditures associated over the life-span of the exhibitions; strategic
opportunities and constraints associated with such a CIP; architectural,
life and safety, and ADA issues,... etc...etc..     In essence the EMP
should provide the museum's governing authority with a "executive overview"
for the basis for planning the museum's CIP exhibition activities for the
next decade or two.  Ideally, the EMP should be done in tandem with the
museum's Strategic Plan.  If anyone is aware of such EMP documents on the
internet, I would greatly appreciate knowing about them.
Thanks,
Wesley S. Creel
Administrator of Programs and Interim Director of Museums
Pink Palace Family of Museums
Memphis, Tennessee
www.memphismuseums.org
telephone:  901.320.6370