From:
Elizabeth Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:29:33 -0400
FOR THE NOT YET THERES OR JUST ARRIVEDS:

If any of these people here were willing to mentor
you, what are three things you would truly like to
learn from them?

My comments are mostly regarding my past and still current mentors. I also
recently finished a MA, so I may differ from someone with only a BA.

1) When I need to learn from mentors I have very specific questions and
usually need some hands on assistance (but only when I ask or am doing
something very wrong, I do have some knowledge already). I mostly want to
see how a more experienced person does things in there everyday work. From
supervisors I have gleaned a great deal of skill and have been able to pick
and choose methods from different sources to create my own individual
favorites and know the merits of different ways of doing things. I have
found that there is rarely one way to do anything that is perfect and the
best mentors have also understood this and listened as well as instructed
the little interns.

2)I have appreciated introductions to others in my field and having
examples of professional behavior regarding dress, language, and other
forms of etiquette that cannot be taught in school. I have seen this at
meetings and events and they have helped me network more than anything. I
advise others to observe and imitate also, I have now seen many newer
students who severely need this.

3) The biggest help I have gotten is encouragement when needed and to be
honestly told whether I am in an appropriate field for my talent. Just
because I can do something doesn't mean I should do it alot. (ie: I am more
enthusiastic at research and education than doing loan forms) Recently (job
searching) hearing that my agonizingly long struggle is normal for my field
but that IT IS WORTH IT was the best thing that I could have heard from the
people I have worked with.

At 01:43 PM 9/20/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>This is a two-parter:
>
>FOR THE TENURED, MORE SENIOR MUSEUMS FOLK:
>
>What are three things you believe that young people
>should know and be prepared to handle in museums work?
>
>Conversely,
>
>FOR THE NOT YET THERES OR JUST ARRIVEDS:
>
>If any of these people here were willing to mentor
>you, what are three things you would truly like to
>learn from them?
>
>In both instances, please be specific.
>

>=====
>Indigo Nights

>Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help?
>Donate cash, emergency relief information
>http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).