From:
"L.W.S. Petznick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 00:31:00 -0400
A further update on some museum's in Southeast Texas.

The Beaumont Enterprise reports that the Art Museum of Southeast Texas in downtown Beaumont sustained significant structural damage this morning. This was posted on www.beaumontenterprise.com at 4:30pm, and there are no further updates at 11:30pm.

Jami Durham informed me that the Galveston Historical Foundation properties are ok.

The brunt of the hurricane came up from the Gulf Coast toward Beaumont - a similar track to Hurricane Rita from September 2005. I am sorry that I have no news of the WH Stark House and the Stark Museum of Art in Orange, the Museum of the Gulf Coast in Port Arthur or other Beaumont area museums.

Flooding in Beaumont subsided rather quickly leaving debris and branches to clean up, but heavy rain and wind downed trees and limbs, some of which damaged power lines. Most signifcant distress to this area is the loss of power across much of Beaumont (Jefferson County) and Orange, TX.

Within days of the second anniversary of Hurricane Rita, most museums in this area had only recently completed repairs. Newscasters did not upgrade the tropical storm to a hurricane until 12:15am this morning, when most will have already gone to sleep. I guess the moral of the story is to expect the unexpected.

I repeat from my earlier posting that the McFaddin-Ward House is fine. For those who know the registered Live Oaks named "William" and "Rachel", they are ok too. Thanks to fellow Museum-L subscribers who wrote with their good wishes.

Best,
Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
Curator of Collections