From:
Timothy McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:20:10 -0700
I don't know about US practices, but the relationship Star has described
between museums and "Friends" groups is the norm in Canada as well.  The
"Friends" groups are usually quite receptive to direction from the
Museum, but are not legally bound to have it's policies and procedures
dictated by the museum.  Depending on how the museum is governed, this
separation is necessary for taxation status, as well as to be eligible
for certain grants and funding opportunities.

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/24/2006 6:38 AM >>>
One big difference between museums in Italy and museums in the States
is the status of the Friends associations, which has telling
repercussions. It is my impression--please correct me, if I'm
wrong--that in the States the Friends associations are a part of/under
the aegis of a department of the museum. This means that--in the
end--the museum may communicate its needs to the association, and direct
(diplomatically) that these needs be filled, as best as possible,
whereas in Italy the associations--at least those of which I know--are
completely separate non-profit associations that run in parallel to the
museum, and may even have freebies museum space for offices,
but--although they exist to help the museum--because they are not part
of the museum, the museum cannot decide policy, approach, projects,
etc.

Looking forward to seeing others' observations. Best regards,

Star Meyer, Ph.D.
home: [log in to unmask]
work: [log in to unmask]
http://www.museobagattivalsecchi.org
Bagatti Valsecchi Museum - Milan, Italy

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Disclaimer: The information transmitted is intended only for the
addressee and may contain confidential, proprietary and/or privileged
material.  Any unauthorized review, distribution or other use of or
the taking of any action in reliance upon this information is
prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender
and delete or destroy this message and any copies