From:
Michael Kassel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:19:19 -0600
Dear Dan,

It has been my experience that all items placed in exhibits have a nasty
tendency to offgas.  My curatorial staff has told me that if a good coat of
paint is applied to the surface of the item and allowed to cure for at least
30 days, most of the offgasing can be contained.  The surface had to be
painted completely with no exposed surfaces.  Also, the off-gasing was
considerably less of a concern if the items were not placed in an enclosed
exhibit case or tureen.  However, other persons on this list may have much
better information.  Good luck!

Mike Kassel
Exhibits Manager
Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum

>From: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Styrofoam in Exhibits
>Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:38:03 -0400
>
>I have a dilemma I hope you conservators can help me out with.
>
>My administrative, budget conscious self wants to use extruded polystyrene
>foam as a scenic element for an upcoming exhibit.  No artifacts will be in
>contact with it, it would be sculpted into a backdrop and painted.
>
>My curatorial self can’t believe that extruded polystyrene doesn’t offgas
>something nasty.
>
>I spent a fair amount of time researching this question on the
>conservator’s list and the archives for this discussion group (among other
>places) and can’t find a definitive answer.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Dan Bartlett
>Exhibits Manager
>Midway Village & Museum Center
>Rockford, IL

>http://mail2web.com/ .

>Important Subscriber Information:
>
>The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
>message to [log in to unmask] . The body of the message should
>read "help" (without the quotes).

>[log in to unmask] . The body of the message should read "Signoff
>Museum-L" (without the quotes).

Michael Kassel
Exhibits Manager
Cheyenne Frontier Days Old West Museum
Cheyenne, Wyoming 82001
307-778-1413

MSN 9 Dial-up Internet Access fights spam and pop-ups – now 3 months FREE!