From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 10:30:23 -0400
Marcia, What a great idea. If you have a volunteer corps you could develop
an ESL program with the help of Literacy Volunteers of America. Their
training is free and they are always looking for more volunteers and space.
This way, not only could you be helping folks with ESL but begin to develop
a constituency for your museum among the new immigrants. A group that needs
particular help are high school age immigrant kids who are illiterate.
According to a recent Urban Institute paper there is no school district in
the US currently that has such a program for this age group. Good luck with
your wonderful idea.
Cheers, -Nicholas