From:
Peter Vreeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 14:05:10 -0400
Dear David,
Thank you for sharing that we me.
Chilling is what I intended.
I would like to wake up some of the people on this list to REAL problems.
Michael's remark was a slight at people of color and the city I call home.
If I scared you, I apologize. I would still like to hear an apology from
the originator of this slur.
I'm not really angry. I'm just sad that people like Michael can say or
write hateful or hurtful  things and some peoples only voice of disapproval
is grammar correction.
I will watch my "dems "and "dos" from now on.
Pete
AKA the thought police

> I don't defend or endorse Michael Hering's very unfortunate remark.
>However, I find Peter Vreeland's response, "We don't tolerate your kind
>of thinking to exist..." equally chilling. If there's one thing scarier
>than racism, it's thought police. Oh, it was meant to be humorous? I
>suppose there's no chance Hering's flippant remark was meant as a joke,
>however distasteful or ill-considered? Nahh, some people can determine
>who is an "angry" (he didn't appear angry to me, but Jackie certainly
>did) "little racist" on the basis of 3 lines of e-mail. I'd ask Mr.
>Hering to apologize to the list members for an inappropriate, offensive
>remark, but I think it's going too far to brand him a racist. Many
>non-racists have made racially offensive and insensitive remarks through
>miscalculation, accident, Freudian slip, etc. Let's try to be tolerant.
>     But if there's one thing I won't tolerate, Mr. Vreeland, it's the
>failure to use "you're" and "your" correctly... Lighten up, folks. A
>temporary fit of jerkiness doesn't equal racism.
>
>David Haberstich

Peter J. Vreeland                               Phone:  (212) 769-5183
Department of Education
American Museum of Natural History              Fax:    (212) 769-5329

Central Park West at 79th Street
New York, NY 10024-5192 ,USA                    E-Mail:[log in to unmask]

The opinions expressed here are solely the responsibility of the
author and should in no way be construed as representing the opinions,
positions and/or policies of his employer.