From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 15:55:14 -0800
The Cultural Resource Management Program at the University of Victoria is
offering two challenging six-day workshop courses for museum and heritage
professionals
that address key issues in the ways in which museums and heritage agencies
relate to their
communities. Please let us know if you'd like to receive further
information or
registration materials:

THE INCLUSIVE MUSEUM: Building Partnerships, Celebrating Differences

Museums play a unique role in bringing together diverse peoples to explore
cultural heritage and to build understanding and relationships.

This workshop discusses the many benefits of policies and practices that
promote and accommodate cultural diversity in the museum context, and it
explores ways in which museum governance, staffing, programming and
partnerships can be structured to ensure that museums are reflective of and
responsive to diverse communities. You will develop your understanding of:
>> the nature, role, and changing expectations of communities
>> issues of perspective, ownership, representation, and expertise
>> strategies to accommodate cultural diversity within museum mission,
structure and programs
>> new approaches to governance and power sharing
>> the meaning and management of effective partnerships
>> approaches to achieving diversity among staff, trustees and volunteers
>> principles and strategies for co-curating
>> ways of balancing divergent values, perspectives and interests
>> intercultural communication
>> methods for managing controversy/resolving conflict
This course involves a preparatory assignment

Instructor: Dr. Rex Ellis is Chair of the Division of Cultural History of the
National Museum of American History in Washington, DC
Dates: May 17 - 22
Please register by April 19
Fee: $589  (Canadian funds, credit or non-credit)

MUSEUMS AT THE CROSSROADS
Many old ideas are bankrupt as  museums redefine their relationships with
communities, funders, donors, academia and one another. This intensive
workshop probes the roots of this situation and challenges you to reexamine
the fundamental purposes of museums as a basis for refining institutional
goals, structures and future directions. Stephen Weil draws on his
extensive distinguished background as a museum executive, writer, teacher,
thinker and consultant to facilitate your exploration of:
>> improving peoples' lives as the core purpose of museums
>> the fundamental role of community in defining the museum's 'bottom line'
>> the impacts of shifting support
>> lessons from business and other not-for- profit organizations
>> issues of governance
>> leadership and management
>> measuring impacts
>> defining success
>> ethics and professionalism
You should bring a minimum of three years experience in museums to this
workshop, along with a willingness to rethink some basic beliefs about
their roles and relationships.

Instructor: Stephen E. Weil, Senior Scholar Emeritus, Center for Museum
Studies, Smithsonian Institution
Dates: June 7 - 12
Please register by:  May 10
Fee: $589  (Canadian funds, credit or non-credit)

Victoria is easily accessible by air or ferry from Vancouver and Seattle.
You will find information on accommodation, travel and registration on our
web site at www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp