From:
Andrew Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 09:00:39 +1100
A couple of gems I recall from a former life:-

After doing an education session with a primary school group on minerals, one youngster sidled up conspiratorially and asked in hushed tones "have you got any kryptonite?"

In the early days of animatronic dinosaurs (1990s) when they roared and moved in a jerky and unconvincing fashion my own 4 year old asked earnestly "Daddy, what do they do with all the poo?"  I briefly considered launching into an explanation about coprolites, but simply said "Dunno!" when I realised that conceptually we weren't on the same page.

A great topic, good luck with the Blog!

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew Simpson
Director, Museum Studies Program
Department of Environment and Geography
Faculty of Science
Macquarie University NSW 2109
ph (61 2) 98508183
fax (61 2) 98509671
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.els.mq.edu.au/museumstudies

"The economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment"

Up todate with Museum Studies @ Macquarie

*Twitter: http://twitter.com/MuseumsAtMQ
*Facebook.com group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=77390485445
*Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/museumstudiesmacquarie/sets/
*Delicious: http://delicious.com/museumstudiesmacquarie

>>> Cindy Boyer <[log in to unmask]> 25/03/2010 1:02 am >>>
The sun is shining, and I am sure I should probably be working on some
grant.

Instead, I am planning a blog or an article about what we hear kids say
on museum tours.

I'm hoping to create it from responses within my staff - but just in
case (and because this can be fun!) - do you have any to share?

My two most memorable are these:

Our Stone-Tolan House Museum site was a tavern and farmhouse at the
beginning of the 19th century. At the end of a tour we frequently ask
4th grade students if they would like to try living in the Stones' time
- and why or why not.  As you can imagine, we get a lot of "no computers
or TVs or bathrooms!" But one young man said "I would like to live in
their time - because what kids did then really mattered to the family.
They had real responsibilities."

A group of 2nd grade parochial school kids were in the orientation
center for Stone Tolan, looking at a family tree of the Stones,
including their 9 children.  This usually leads to a discussion on how a
large family was useful on a farm, because of all the work to be done.
The docent asked "Why do you think they had so many children?"  An
adorable girl said very calmly "Because they had a lot of sex."

What do you have?

And please let me know, if I use your experience in my blog may I
identify you or your site - or would you prefer to keep it anonymous
(what happens on Museum-L....)

Cindy Boyer

Director of Museums and Education

The Landmark Society of Western New York

133 S. Fitzhugh St.

Rochester NY  14608

(585) 546-7029 ext. 12

Fax:  (585) 546-4788

The Landmark Society:  Revitalizing Yesterday, Protecting Today, and
Planning for Tomorrow

www.landmarksociety.org <http://www.landmarksociety.org/>

Confessions of a Preservationist: The Landmark Society blog
<http://landmarksocietywny.blogspot.com/>

Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12149056258>  / MySpace
<http://www.myspace.com/landmarksociety>