From:
Katherine Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 19:57:17 -0500
Peter B. Tirrell wrote:

> >Traveling Trunk program.
>
> Cameron & fellow respondees.  You may be interested in a paper I wrote
> "Traveling Exhibits As A Strategy For University-State Museums Of Natural
> History", in NATURAL HISTORY MUSEUMS:  DIRECTIONS FOR GROWTH, Texas Tech
> University Press,  Lubbock, 1991.  The paper has applications for any
> museum starting up an outreach program.  It includes a range of outreach
> programs (e.g, trunk type).  I can send you a copy if you wish.  The
> strategies and plans that are outlined in the paper are still going
> strong at the OMNH, as indicated by my first response, and have been
> instrumental in obtaining support for a new facility, now under
> construction.

> Peter B. Tirrell, Associate Director
> Oklahoma Museum of Natural History
> The University of Oklahoma
> 1335 Asp Avenue
> Norman, Oklahoma   73019-6071
>
> tel:  (405) 325-1009
> fax:  (405) 325-7699
>
> also:  President, The Association of College and University Museums and
> Galleries

At the Chicago Botanic Garden we had the SITES exhibit, "Tropical
Rainforests: A Disappearing Treasure" four and a half years ago.  As
part of the programming we assembled kits developed by the Missouri
Botanical Garden.  We call them "Suitcase Science Kits."  The kits are
absolutely full of great stuff, maybe a bit too much to manage.

I agree that they are a great resource for teachers but I confess that
overseeing them is among my least favorite tasks.  It always seems to
take more time than I expect, especially when they get returned in a
jumbled state, like the teacher just threw everything in the box in a
hurry so she could return it on time.  Then if something is missing or
broken, I have to follow up quickly because the kit may be going out
again right away.

I think the success depends on assigning the responsibility to someone
who doen't have a hundred other things to do, and maybe someone who
isn't so cranky!  Does your paper address this? I would love to read a
copy anyway.

Katherine Johnson
Coor. of Youth Education
Chicago Botanic Garden
1000 Lake Cook Road
Glencoe, IL 60022
(847) 835-8279

Linda Wilson:
How about a kit for the Natural History of Chicago, featuring ancient
beach ridges, soil core sampling at the lakefront, and make your own
glacier in a sandbox?  (alas, I miss the old Chicago Academy of
Sciences!)
Thanks for passing my message along to Sean, I enjoyed hearing from him.
-Kathy