From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 08:00:00 PST
The Cultural Resource Management Program at the University of Victoria is
offering an intensive course on business approaches to financial management
for professionals involved in the management of museums and other cultural
organizations. Please let us know if you would like to receive further
information and registration materials . . .

FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT IN CULTURAL ORGANIZATIONS
If managers of cultural organizations are to foster strong and creative
environments for programs, they must build on a sound understanding of the
principles and practices of financial planning, development, and management.
Using the framework of the business plan, this course  stresses the role of
financial planning, forecasting and reporting in all aspects of management,
and develops your financial management abilities through a practical
examination of:
>>      the nature and values of non-profit cultural organizations
>>      accountability
>>      financial management cycles
>>      budgeting and resource allocation
>>      forecasting revenues and expenditures
>>      internal controls, evaluation and audit
>>      operating procedures
>>      management of revenue centres and box offices
>>      inventory control
>>      legal and ethical issues
As you should be familiar with basic bookkeeping techniques, this topic is
addressed through advance readings.

Instructor: Pauline Thompson is a Chartered Accountant and a consultant in
the management of museums and other not-for-profit agencies.

Dates: October 28 - November 6, 1998

Please register by:  October 6

Fee: $589 (Canadian funds)

Accommodation: we can recommend inexpensive B&B accommodation near
campus

Travel: Victoria is easily accessible by air or ferry from Vancouver BC or
Seattle Washington

For further information on this course and on others in our program, please
visit our website at www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp