From:
George Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:56:02 -0500
Becky,

I have a couple of friends who were anthropology students in undergraduate.
They had no trouble reconciling their belief in God with their understanding
of evolution – and ID was not the resolution. ID is not as simple as saying
a Greater Power guided evolution. ID attempts to disprove evolution or at
least throw a monkey wrench into the wide grip Darwinian/evolutionary theory
has on modern scientists. It pokes holes in evolutionary theory, then argues
that because evolutionary theory cannot explain life some higher power must
be responsible.

My anthropologist friends believe in God and they believe in science. ID is
not science – it's faith trying to co-opt science and muscle its way in to
classrooms, universities, and natural history museums.

Lois Byrnes was right. This is about power, not knowledge.

I'd suggest reading the very long but very good article in The New Yorker by
H. Allan Orr entitled "Devolution." You can read it online at
http://www.pandasthumb.org/pt-archives/001066.html.

Best,

George Garner
Director of Exhibitions
Center for History
808 West Washington, South Bend, IN 46601
www.centerforhistory.org // (574) 235-9664

--------
Celebrate Historic Gardens Month in June at the Center for History by
visiting the exhibition, Gardens, and strolling the beautiful grounds
surrounding the Oliver mansion.