From:
Nancy J Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 22:12:02 EDT
Here are the best sources I have come across for jobs on the web. When I
was still looking for a job, I was devoted to checking out these sites.
I'm sure there are lots more out there too.

Museum Employment Resource Center (MERC)
        http://www.wyoming.com/~merc/

USA Jobs (lists places like Smithsonian)
        http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

Department of Interior AVADS (Automated Vacancy Announcement Distribution
Service or something similar). National Park Service and other DOI
agencies.
        http://www.info.er.usgs.gov/doi/avads/index.html

NPS Gopher (general hodgepodge of jobs, including museums, archives,
libraries, etc). Enter address below and click on the "Positions" folder.
        gopher://ncptt.nps.gov/

Jobs for Microscopists and other Scientists. I know, I know. Seems like
an odd choice. However this site has links to just about every job
listing you can imagine. Some of which list museum stuff. I never
explored all the links so it might be worth checking out.
        http://www.mwrn.com/feature/joblinks.htm

Finally, America's Job Bank (which I found on the above site) lists some
state museum jobs.
        http://www.ajb.dni.us/

Another job related tool that you might find interesting is the Salary
Calculator on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln web page. Although it
doesn't list every town in a given state, it can give you a rough
estimate of buying power at a given salary for a given location. Besides,
it is fun!
        http://www.studentcenter.com/region/cost/cost.htm

Good luck in the job search!!

Nancy Russell