From:
Ron Bogdonov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 1994 15:38:00 -0500
I think that a survey would be in order to establish stats.  The number of
installations is currently in great flux due to the rapidly declining price
of hardware and accessibility to expertise.  For example, if you had asked
me eight months ago if we had any intention of developing an educational
multimedia kiosk in the gallery or an informational kiosk in the foyer
within the next two years, I would have regretably answered no because of a
lack of funding and higher priorities on other aspects of IT development.
However, because the cost of accessibility to the hardware, software and
expertise has dropped so dramatically, we have an interactive multimedia
pilot project installed in the gallery next to a perminent exhibit and we
should have an information kiosk in the foyer by March.

I am sure that the numbers of actual installations will increase
dramatically over the next six months.  It will be very, very difficult to
estimate that growth through a survey if many institutions acquire the
technology as mine did.

>Just out of curiosity (and because it is the topic of a paper I am
>writing), does anyone have an idia of how many of the major museums in
>the United States have some kind of interactive multimedia set-up
>(kiosks, workstations) accompanying and/or augmenting museum exhibits, or
>even as exhibits in and of themselves?  I do not need to know an exact
>number, just a ballpark figure or percentage would be fine.  I appreciate
>any information anyone might have in this area.  Thanks a lot!
>
>Suzanne Rumsey
>Doctoral Student
>Annenberg School for Communication
>University of Southern California
Ron Bogdonov                  [log in to unmask]
MIS Administrator            Tel: (604)682-4668
Vancouver Art Gallery      Fax: (604)682-1086