From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:22:05 -0500
I totally agree with the replies to Ms. Crews messages.  What an attitude!
 I also found it interesting that in another message, Ms. Crews identified
herself as a newspaper reporter.  What ignorance!  My husband works
with disabled adults for a living and trust me that he doesn't encounter
many people who are willing to lend a hand opening doors, etc. when he
takes his consumers into public places.  His consumers are working
members of society (ie -- taxpayers) and deserve access to everything
that a "able-bodied" person does.   Yes, it does cost money but it's the
LAW and handicapped access doesn't have to cost a small fortune in
most cases.  I'd love Ms. Crews to be put into a wheelchair and then see
what she has to say about access issues and the ADA!

Just my personal view on the issue...

Laura Mahoney
Office of Sponsored Projects
Smithsonian Institution