From:
Niki Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:45:53 PST
A year and a half ago we added a cafe adjacent to our exhibit areas,
only to be separated by doors.  We were indeed concerned about this
in terms of pest control because we continually battle with mice in
particular.  During a recent pest control survey with a consultant,
we found the cafe to be extremely clean (as it must be for health
standards).  The cafe was designed for easy cleaning with
much of its equipment being on rollers.  That way it can be pulled
out and cleaned behind with ease.  The food supply is brought into
the cafe and out via a door only accessed by the cafe.  The cafe is
contracted out, so they are responsible its cleanliness.

Our biggest food concern has been the staff/volunteer
lunch spaces.  With no clear distinction as to who is responsible for
the clean up, it rarely gets done.  If this is the kind of space you
are considering (an area with microwave, toaster oven, refrigerator,
etc...), I would strongly suggest before the space is completed that
a cleaning schedule be established and then adhered to.  Other safety
nets must be put in place as well, including proper storage for
warming kitchen items and education for those using the space.  Good
policies must be practiced from the beginning.  We have found them
very difficult to start after the fact.

Monitoring the warming kitchen is equally important and could be
scheduled into your regular rounds.

Niki Hanson
Registrar
The High Desert Museum
ph: 541 389 8866

According to Lonna McKinley:

Our Museum is in the process of adding a warming kitchen to the
facilities.  It will be an addition inside of an exhibit area in
close proximity to exhibits and archival storage.

I was wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation.
If so, do you have any suggestions or comments on how to ensure the
prevention of damage to the collections if insects or rodents are
attracted.

Lonna McKinley
Museum Archivist
United States Air Force Museum