From:
Deborah Arenz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:25:02 GMT
In our never-ending quest to keep our historic structures maintained (the
dates of our structures range from 1870s-1910s), we are (once again)
struggling with the question of what type of exterior paint works the best.
Yes, we have looked at literature, but we are now more interested in knowing
what other institutions are doing/using successfully, especially
institutions in similar climates.   The Stuhr Museum is located in
South/Central Nebraska.  Our summers can be very hot and humid, or very dry.
  Our winters are cold and windy (wind chills have been know to get to
-70°F).  Basically the weather is very extreme (today it will be in the 60s,
tomorrow it is supposed to be in the 20s and snowing).   Do any of you in
similar climates have strong preferences for types of paint (i.e. oil or
latex)?  If so, why?  We are especially concerned with issues of durability
and color retention.  It is not uncommon for us to have to repaint a
building every 4-5 years; we feel this is far too often.  Are any of you in
similar climates working on similar repainting schedules?  Additionally,
does anyone have any good/bad experiences/techniques for painting treated
lumber?  Finally, please share any especially successful techniques for
stripping/priming building exteriors.

Any information would be helpful and appreciated.

Deb Arenz
Curator
Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer