From:
"Jackson, Martha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:29:51 +0000
We include materials on our object labels, as most visitors don't read all the labels.  But when they do, they seem to like knowing what materials are in the object.  We start with the most prevalent material.  Here is an example:

Half-Spanish Style Saddle

Non-military.  Also known as a “Hybrid” or “Mock Eagle Head”, this type of saddle was used by U.S. Army cavalry officers in the Mexican War and later by many in the Confederate cavalry.  Although the Quartermaster for the State of North Carolina did purchase saddles for its troops, many preferred to use their personal saddles.

Leather, iron, wood; possibly American; circa 1848

Gift of Mr. W. M. Wood, Lewisville, N.C.  (Accession number 1980.166.10)

MBJ

Martha Battle Jackson

Chief Curator

Division of State Historic Sites and Properties

NC Dept. of Natural and Cultural Resources

919-733-7862 ext 236; fax: 919-733-9515

Please note, effective October 3rd, my phone number will change to 919-814-7163

430 N. Salisbury Street, Suite 1115  |  4620 Mail Service Center  |  Raleigh, North Carolina 27699-4620

.

http://www.ncdcr.gov/things-to-do/events

Email correspondence to and from this address is subject to the

North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.