From:
Dennis Lloyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 13:56:35 GMT
Hildegard ([log in to unmask]) writes:
> What *is* the difference between an exhibit and an exhibition?
>
> I have always thought (and had it firmly engrained in my education) that an
> "art" museum has exhibitions, and exhibit implies a historical, natural
> history, material culture, etc. museum.
>
> Now, when I hear the word exhibit being used to refer to contemporary art,
> I cringe.  Trouble is, I've recently changed jobs and everyone on the staff
> of my present museum uses the word exhibit in just such a way.

        I feel that your "firmly engrained" education may have had an
influence here, Hildegard.  The teaching of definitions present a problem
in the classroom when those terms have many different meanings.  I teach
a 1st-yr exhibit design theory course, and have to start *somewhere*, so I
put forth the definitions that I have grown to know and love.  I stress,
however, that there are different interpretations of the words, depending
on what institution you are in, or what continent you are on, for that matter.
        I tend to think of an exhibit as either a small exhibition, or a
single display within a larger exhibition.  My thinking tends toward
historical and natural history museums.  Art museums tend to havbe
different interpretations for these terms.  Books on basic exhibit design
will usually have a paragraph or two dealing with these definitions.

        Dennis Lloyd
        Algonquin College
        Nepean, Ontario, Canada.