From:
"L.W.S. Petznick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:22:26 -0400
Hello Erin!

I agree with Russ. Getting objects out of harm's way is the best plan of attack... bear in mind HOW you are going to move them, the path, the method of moving, the weather... for example, I had scheduled movers to return objects to the Carriage house of the McFaddin-Ward House after it was restored with a new roof. They were supposed to have done it this morning... Good thing we noticed rain - let alone a hurricane - and I changed the reinstall to a day without rain yesterday. Good to schedule a rain date and use an extended forecast to help plan the move.

Another token of advice is to be sure to check often the objects that have been moved or "protected." Numerous reasons for this, but the change in environment means that your good intentions to get objects away from construction and dust may backfire by not maintaining watch over things covered or shut away in a store room. Security, mold, uninformed staff who may turn a corner and injure themselves or objects by accident...

As for the HVAC itself, give the building and system time to adjust itself before reintroducing collections. Furthermore, the new system should have MULTIPLE MONITORING POINTS for temp and RH and multiple VENTS- not just one on each floor but several of each spaced out across the floor. Rooms facing south or near trees will react differently to external changes to temp and humidity, which means that the internal temp/RH may be just fine near the central control but not in other rooms. While many systems are supposed to self-monitor and adjust to different conditions, you will still need to have HOBO units spread out to monitor it. All this described an ideal situation that is costly, but in the long run preventative measures cost less than conservation and can prevent irreparable damage to your objects.

Finally, maintain communication with all vendors and members of staff so that the good work being done to one aspect of the house does not hinder progress elsewhere because of scheduling issues.

Ware

L.W.S. Petznick, Ph.D.
Curator of Collections
McFaddin-Ward House