From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 16:33:48 -0500
Theer was a discussion on the Children's Museum list a while back on this
very topic, and someone mentioned that the idea that lice could be spread
through sharing hats was not true.  This poster even mentioned a study, but
never came up with the exact citation.  I know I worked with a program which
shared hats regularly for over seven years and not one case of head lice was
ever reported among staff or visitors which numbered when I left over 20,000
a year for this one program.  We did spray them lightly after each use, but
lets face it, when you have over a hundred kids a day you miss a lot and I
find it hard to believe we wouldn't have seen at least one case.

Does anyone know for a fact, with appropriate citations of studies, that
sharing hats REALLY spreads head lice or not. Common sense tell us it
should, but common sense isn't always correct.

How long can lice live not attached to a host?

Anyone know?

Matthew White
Director of Education
B&O Railroad Museum